how to trim dog nails
Why trim overgrown or damaged dog nails? You probably aren’t the first one who has done this. However, if you don’t know the best way to trim dog nails yet, you are not alone in thinking this. You are certainly not the only one who has this question on their mind.
Start with buying a nail-trimming tool.
It can be an especially annoying problem for your pet dog when he tries to run and play but has his claws caught in the door of his new home. If they don’t get removed, the nail growth can grow longer, eventually causing problems like painful sores at the area of his nails. If you want to learn nail trimming, you should consider buying a nail trimming tool. These are available almost everywhere now, including pet shops.
You can buy a clipper or nail grinder from almost any pet store. The most convenient way to buy them is to use the Internet, where you can easily browse for the best price deals. There are also many online stores that you can visit for great discounts on these things. Here are some quick tips to help you find a good pair of clippers and nail grinders.
You may like : why do dogs wag their tails?
Types of nail Clippers and Grinders.
There are a few types of tools for cutting dogs’ nails:
- Guillotine style, like these Resco dog nail clippers, have a hole that you poke the dog nail through. They stay sharp longer but are harder to use.
- Like the Millers Forge Nail Clipper, Pliers style resembles scissors style, but they have a spring, making them stronger and better for large, thick nails.
- Nail grinders, commonly referred to by the Dremel brand name, file your dog’s nails smooth while also making it easier to avoid hitting the quick.
Take time to weigh the advantage and disadvantages of the tools
First, you will need to ensure that the tools you choose are not too small for the dog. This is a very common mistake among dog owners. Usually, they think that bigger tools are better, but this isn’t necessarily true. Instead, you should take a little bit of time and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each device before deciding which one you want to use. The last thing you want is to make sure that your pet gets cut by your new nail trimmer.
You may like : how to make your own bully sticks?
Some steps for trimming your dog’s nails.
- First, trim dogs nail’s with scissors or clippers. Then, rinse the dog off with warm water. Clean the dogs nail’s with an antiseptic puppy shampoo before you trim again.
- Next, cut the nailer up into four equal strips. Now, apply some of the solutions to the dog’s nail’s. If you are using nail clippers, then apply some of the solutions to the clippers. Let this solution stay on the nails for about five minutes before you clip the dog’s nails.
- If you have a dog with thick nails, they can be tough to cut. If you decide to try out something that may work for you and your dog, you can try clipping your dog’s nails by yourself. First, get one of your handcuffs. Then, cut off one inch of the cuff and hold it against the dog’s nails. You should not be able to cut them yet, so give the dog some space until you can get your hands around them. If you want to give your dog a treat, you can do that as well.
- Once you have finished, clip the part of the dog nail you were left with back. Your dog will probably cry, but it is not painful. If none of that works, then trim the nails yourself, and you will find no problem with cutting your dog’s nails.
What usage of nail-trimmer do you consider?
Next, you should keep in mind that most clippers and nail grinders only work with dogs that have long, straight, and strong nails. If your dog has nails that are crooked, damaged, or broken, then this will not work. For a trim to be successful, you need to make sure that it is done properly. There are even cases where dogs that don’t have nails can trim them because of their strong muscles.
Long Nails Hurt Dogs.
Overgrown dog nails and untrimmed them can do a lot of damage, some of which can be irreversible. Dog owners must attend to dog grooming to keep pet health in a good situation. Also, overgrown nails and Long nails can corrupt healthy dogs paw and make it into a splayed foot with less traction. It can also injure tendons and deform dogs foot.
Start it slowly and superficially!
Some pet parents make the mistake of trimming too much, even though their dogs may not need it yet. Although this works to prevent problems, you should know that too much cutting can cause further damage. The best way to get started is by taking a piece of the nail with your index finger and thumb and slowly working it along the edge of the dog’s nail. Although this is not recommended for young puppies, adult dogs can easily handle more pressure. Once you get the hang of it, you can start trimming accordingly.
It is a good idea to touch your dog’s paws often. The puppy can feel the vibrations by touching the nail clipper to its paws. Do not firstly trim nails. Give some praise and a treat.
You may like : everything you need to know about Colby bloodline Pitbulls
Consider that a long nail can make a sound paw look like a splayed foot. They can also reduce traction and cause deformed feet. The pressure exerts a force on the foot, leg, and structure as the long nail touches the ground. Some dogs don’t need their nails clipped as often because they wear them down.
To finish the process, you should use a styptic powder to stop the bleeding and make the end of the nail easier to cut. It will also help the nails stay straight for a longer period. If your pup is bleeding or you notice any blood after the procedure, stop the bleeding immediately with a bandage and contact a veterinarian directly.
You may like: what can I give my dog for pain?
How to Trim Dog’s Nails.
Now that you understand how to trim dog nails quickly and easily, you should make sure that you find a quality clipper for nail clipping that will help you accomplish this task effectively. There are various clippers available, and you should try to find the clippers that are as comfortable and easy to use as possible. When you consider the comfort level of the clippers, it should not be hard for you to find one that is perfect for trimming the nails of your beloved canine. As a pet owner, remember that an overgrown nail can hurt your dogs foot. Clip dog nails by choosing the right nail grinder.