why are grapes bad for dogs

why are grapes bad for dogs?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions by pet owner’s. First, let’s look at why grape is bad for humans. They contain high levels of antioxidants, which can help prevent cardiovascular disease and some forms of cancer. If your dog eats too many grapes, it may have a higher risk of acute kidney failure, and it can be fatal. In addition to this, high amounts of fructose (the main sugar in grapes) can cause hyperactivity and weight gain.

 

why are grapes bad for dogs

 

So why are grapes bad for dogs?

It seems that grape contain animal-derived sugars and chemicals that can cause problems when they get into the system. The sugar found in grapes, called pectin, is similar to the sugar found in raisins, making your dog very thirsty. Another common chemical found in grapes is tannic acid, which can cause digestive upset and can even cause death in extreme cases. Also, highly fibrous content of grapes is also toxic and can cause diarrhea and intestinal gas, which can potentially be deadly.

You may like: what kind of milk can puppies drink?

 

What if my dog eats grapes or raisins? 

If you think that your pet has consumed any fruit, consult your vet. After all, you can also Pet Poison Helpline or an animal poison control center immediately. There are many unanswered questions about this type of poisoning, it’s best to avoid taking any risks regarding your pet’s health. In addition to all poisons, raisin poisoning is recognized and treated. The less harmful it is for your pet, the less costly treatment is for you

 

Grape toxicity in dogs.

Now, we will look at the effects of grape toxicity in dogs. A toxic dose of chemicals can get into your body through your intestines and cause acute and chronic kidney damage. One of the primary causes of kidney failure is toxins released from the digestive tract. One particular chemical, tannic acid, is known as kidney poison. If the kidney function becomes poor and cannot remove toxins, kidney failure may develop.

 

How can grape toxicity affect kidney failure?

First, the kidneys must work overtime to remove the excess fluids and tannic acid. If the kidneys are not functioning properly, kidney failure can occur. Second, fluid will accumulate in the abdomen if kidney failure occurs, causing electrolyte imbalances and eventually shock.

When dog loses the ability to take liquids and will exhibit some symptom’s, including lethargy, hyperactivity, depression, fever, ingestion, and dehydration, Chronic intoxication with a toxic concentration of grape’s will ultimately lead to a form of dogs kidneys failure called renal failure.

 

 

How can this poisoning be managed?

Treatment aims to prevent the absorption of toxins and prevent or minimize kidney damage. The best method is to clean the dog immediately through vomiting and giving activated charcoal. This controls the ingestion of the toxin through the stomach or the intestines. Because raisins and grapes stay within the stomachs for a long duration, vomiting is essential (even as long as 4 hours after the intake). Treatments for nausea and vomiting to aid in maintaining blood flow to the kidneys and regulate blood pressure is good decision.

 

Vomiting risk.

So, why are grapes bad for dogs? One major reason is that dogs are susceptible to vomiting when they ingest too many grape products. These products contain many tannic acids, which will convert into ethanol if they are ingested in large enough amounts. Excessive drinking of wine, especially one with a high amount of tannic acid, can also cause vomiting, dehydration, and shock if the dog cannot vomit after drinking it. Some other grapes to avoid include blue mulberry, bilberry, black, purple, and red fruits, as well as dried fruits, prunes, raisins, pecans, and peanut butter.

 

Steep sugar content in grape.

Another reason why grape can be poisonous to dogs because they have high sugar content, making them very attractive to dogs even though they are potentially toxic. The grape has natural sugar. It is often added artificially, which gives them their bitter taste. When dogs consume too much of this sugary substance, it can cause some symptom’s, including vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, ingestion, an upset stomach, weakness, and even heart failure.

 

why are grapes bad for dogs?

You may like: Can dogs eat Catfish?

How is the grape/raisin toxicity identified?

Unfortunately, the symptoms of raisin or grape poisoning aren’t specific, and this can be compared to a range of conditions, such as simple dietary indiscretions (eating food items that shouldn’t be consumed). The more severe symptoms appear similar to renal problems caused by other reasons. A test for diagnoses, such as an entire blood count (CBC), an analysis of the biochemistry in your blood, and a urine test to determine the extent of kidney damage can be recommended by your vet. The results of the test can help determine the probability of recovering.

 

 

Conclusion.

To determine whether your pet has grape or raisin toxicity, you should consult with a veterinarian specializing in animals. They will give you the proper diagnosis and recommend the appropriate course of action. If your dog has a certain genetic predisposition to this problem, your vet may need to perform an enzyme dye test, which is fairly common and inexpensive. Once your vet determines that there is no danger from the product, they can suggest a good brand or type.

Latest posts by usermajid (see all)
Date
03 Oct 2021
3:00 pm