No, dogs should not eat Benebone chews. Benebones are designed as chew toys and are not meant to be ingested as food. Here’s why:

  • Not Edible: Benebones are made from durable materials like nylon and flavorings meant for chewing, not digestion. Ingesting them can lead to digestive issues or blockages.
  • Dental Benefits: Chewing on a Benebone can help reduce plaque and tartar on your dog’s teeth, but eating it may negate these dental benefits.
  • Risk of Injuries: Ingesting parts of a Benebone or chewing it into small pieces can result in choking hazards, dental injuries, or gastrointestinal problems for dogs.


  1. Can dogs safely chew on Benebones?
    • Yes, dogs can safely chew on Benebones as intended for dental and mental stimulation. Supervise them to prevent potential problems.
  2. What should I do if my dog has ingested parts of a Benebone?
    • If your dog ingests parts or exhibits distress, contact your vet immediately for guidance.
  3. Are there edible chews or treats for dogs that can be safely consumed?
    • Yes, there are edible dental chews and treats specifically designed for dogs that offer dental benefits and are safe to eat. Consult your vet for recommendations.
  4. Can I give my dog other non-edible toys or objects to chew on?
    • Provide your dog with appropriate chew toys designed for dogs to avoid choking hazards or dental injuries. Avoid giving them objects not intended for canine use.

In summary, Benebones are not meant to be eaten but are intended for chewing and dental health. Follow the product’s guidelines and supervise your dog to ensure their safety and well-being.


Setare Afshar is a seasoned veterinarian and an accomplished writer with a passion for dogs. With over five years of dedicated experience in the field, she has become a trusted expert in dog breeds, behavior, and dietary needs. Setare's journey began with a profound love for animals, which led her to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine.

Write A Comment