Can my dog have grapes?

Many fruit bowls and salads worldwide include grapes and their dried counterpart, the raisin, or current. Grapes have many health benefits, including antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain lots of vitamins and minerals. They can be a problem for dogs. Moreover, Grapes can be of any color, including seedless, but we also refer to raisins, currants, and grape juice. These fruits can cause severe kidney damage and death in dogs.


Grapes are toxic to dogs.

Dogs can be poisoned by all grape varieties, including green grapes and purple grapes. Wine, grape juice, raisins, currants, and wine are all toxic to dogs. Researchers don’t understand why.

There has been speculation that tartaric acid, mycotoxin (a toxic substance that mold and fungus produce), or a salicylate medication that is in grapes might cause health problems for dogs.

True, it takes only 32 grams of grapes per kilogram (dog weight) to cause kidney damage in dogs. The amount of raisins per kilogram ranges between 11 and 30 grams. It is not known what causes grape poisoning or raisin poisoning. However, the toxic fleshy portion of the grape is believed to be the culprit. It’s important to remember that both seedless and peeled grapes can be toxic and should not be used for treats.

 You may like: Can Acepromazine kill a dog?

Symptoms and signs of grape poisoning:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea can occur in as little as 2-12 hours.
  • Abdominal pain: The abdomen will feel tender to the touch. It can occur in as little as 12-24 hours.
  • Ingestion can cause a loss of appetite for up to 24 hours.
  • Lethargy, and weakness: These symptoms can occur within 24 to 48 hours after ingestion.
  • Dehydration: These signs include panting, dry nose and mouth, pale gums, and dry eyes.
  • A rise in thirst could indicate an increase or decrease in urine production. This could indicate the beginning of acute renal failure. It can occur within 24-72 hours.
  • Kidney failure can lead to death if it is not treated promptly. The symptoms may appear within 72 hours.

Call your vet if you suspect that your dog ate grapes. You may need to induce vomiting if it has been less than 2 hours since the grapes were eaten. You can ask your veterinarian for the best way to induce vomiting.



What should you do if your dog gets grape poisoning?

If your dog is experiencing symptoms after hours, you will need to bring him to the emergency vet. Your dog’s history and symptoms will help determine the diagnosis. You will need to induce vomiting if your dog has consumed grapes or raisins within the last two hours. However, it is important to induce vomiting within 15 to 20 mins after your dog has had grapes or raisins.

Your veterinarian will then give activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. Dogs with difficulty breathing or losing consciousness should not be given vomiting. Also, if a dog is experiencing shock, he or she should be immediately taken to an emergency veterinarian. Dogs that have vomited already need to be seen by an emergency veterinarian.

Your veterinarian may give fluids to your dog for up to 48 hours if your dog has had too many grapes or raisins or is vomiting or having diarrhea. Moreover, you will also give your dog medications to increase urine production. However, your dog’s survival rate is unlikely if he isn’t producing enough urine. The veterinarian will discuss others with you other options.

 You may  like: Why is my dog digging his bed?

How to treat Grape Poisoning?

Your vet will try to prevent kidney disease in your dog, and restore lost kidney function. Your vet may make your dog vomit or give you activated charcoal to prevent the toxins from getting into his intestines. Fluid therapy or intravenous fluids may be administered to your dog to protect his kidneys.

  • The vet will induce vomiting if it has been less than 2 hours since the grapes were consumed. After the stomach has emptied, activated charcoal will be administered to the kidneys to absorb the toxins.
  • To assess kidney function and damage, they may request a urinalysis or blood work.
  • Fluid therapy will be started if your dog has acute renal failure.

If there is kidney damage, the prognosis could be dire. However, many dogs can recover after eating grapes and getting immediate medical attention.

Your vet might recommend immediate treatment at home. Also, they may suggest hydrogen peroxide solutions of 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of your dog’s body weight. This will cause vomiting. This will cause vomiting.

Get help immediately if the worst happens. Moreover, you could save your dog’s life. Although there is no guarantee that your dog will make a full recovery, your veterinarian will do everything possible to ensure it does. In fact, dogs can be fed healthy food in many ways similar to children. In fact, it is important to ensure that your dog receives high-quality dog food with lots of fruits and vegetables. Talk to your veterinarian about what you can do to improve your dog’s diet.


Can dogs eat grapes again?

Although it can be scary to discover that your dog ate grapes in the past, he might not need any medical attention. Even if your dog ate grapes, it is possible to protect his health and get him to the vet immediately. However, it all depends on how many grapes he consumed, how quickly you treated him, how sensitive he is to grapes, and whether your dog has developed kidney failure.

Your pup should be fine if he only ate one or two grapes and was given treatment right away depending on his size. If your pup has kidney damage and isn’t producing urine, he may die. Kidneys can’t repair themselves.

 You may like: Why is my dog digging holes all of a sudden?


Grapes are not something pet owners should share with their dogs. If not detected immediately, they can cause severe kidney damage and even death. Also, Grapes can be dangerous for dogs’ health and should not be allowed to enter their noses.


I’m a long-time animal lover and owner of two dogs and three cats. I grew up on a farm where we had all sorts of animals, from cows and horses to pigs and chickens. My love for animals led me to pursue a career in writing about them. I have been a pet care writer for over 5 years and have extensive knowledge of animal care, health, and behavior.

Write A Comment