Can dogs eat Cotton Candy Grapes?

The answer is a simple No. Dogs shouldn’t eat cotton candy grapes or any other grape contain treats. It’s because grapes are toxic to dogs, even a small amount could be harmful for dogs. Additionally, cotton candy grapes have high amount of sugar and calories than the typical grapes,it’s making them riskier for your canines. Cotton candy does have xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial substitute for sugar that is made from spun sugar and corn syrup.



What are cotton candy grapes?

The name says it all: Cotton Candy grapes are grapes that taste like cotton candy. They look like a regular old green grape, which, if we’re being honest, isn’t our favorite of the bunch. (We find red seedless grapes to be sweeter and crunchier.) But bite into one and you’ll be surprised at the ultra-sweet flavor that tastes remarkably like the blue, sticky, sugary stuff you had to beg your mom to buy you at the fair.

Cotton Candy grapes are actually a varietal specific to fruit distributor Grapery, which grows an assortment of new grape varietals with cheeky names and, sometimes, funny shapes. There’s also Tear Drops, which are extremely juicy and look like fingers, and Moon Drops, which are tubular and highly flavorful. But back to Cotton Candy grapes: According to NPR, they came about not as a nod to junk food, but the opposite.

You may like: Can dogs eat Fruit Gushers?

Nutrition of cotton candy grapes.

Because cotton candy grapes are a hybrid of two common types of grapes, they share the same nutritional profile as regular grapes. They are low in calories, plus high in vitamin K and vitamin C along with many other important micronutrients.

One cup of cotton candy grapes contains approximately:

  • 104 calories
  • 27.3 grams carbohydrates
  • 1.1 grams protein
  • 0.2 gram fat
  • 1.4 grams fiber
  • 22 micrograms vitamin K (28 percent DV)
  • 16.3 milligrams vitamin C (27 percent DV)
  • 0.2 milligram copper (10 percent DV)
  • 288 milligrams potassium (8 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram thiamine (7 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram riboflavin (6 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram manganese (5 percent DV)



Why are cotton candy grapes harmful for dogs?

Cotton candy grapes are an all-natural grape variety that has been bred to flavor like cotton candy. feeding grapes can cause more harm than good. Although grapes are nutritious for humans, they are not safe for dogs in the following ways;

You may like: Can dogs eat rice noodles?

Weight gain.

Cotton candy grapes have a high amount of sugar, which is unhealthy for canines.

Snacking on grapes is okay, but overdoing it can lead to weight gain, diabetes, and pancreatitis because of an inflamed pancreas. These natural sugars can cause a spike in blood glucose if consumed in large amounts. It’s vital to feed your dog fruits in moderated amounts for maximum benefits.


Gastrointestinal issues.

Too much cotton candy grapes can increase acidity levels in dog’s stomach, causing irritations and gastrointestinal problems. Moreover the seeds are difficult to digest and hence can cause abdominal discomfort leading to appendicitis in canines. Excess consumption of sugary food causes diarrhea or loose stool in dogs. Since grapes have insoluble fiber, large doses can easily interfere with digestive functioning.



Allergic reactions.

Dogs, like humans, can develop various food allergies when introduced to new diets. Although not common, grapes can cause allergic reactions to canines. Feed them in small amounts and closely monitor them for the following reactions;

  • Nausea and lack of appetite
  • Excessive itchiness and skin rashes
  • Swelling on the face
  • Diarrhea and vomiting
  • Excessive paw licking


Grape toxicity.

Cotton candy grapes and any products containing grapes (grape juice, jelly, or wine) are toxic to canines even in small amounts and should not be given to them. Although the exact toxin in grapes is not yet clear, its toxicity can be fatal and life-threatening to pups. The toxic effects of cotton candy grapes differ in various breeds depending on their size, weight, and underlying medical condition. Some dogs have been affected adversely, while for others, it’s just mild impacts that subdue with time. The onset of symptoms can occur immediately after ingestion or within 12 to 24 hours.

Signs of grape toxicity in dogs include;

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Low appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Body weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Bad breath

You may like: Can dogs drink kool aid?

What if your dog eats cotton candy grapes?

If your furry friend over eats cotton candy grapes, treat it as an emergency and contact your vet right away.

Do not induce vomiting without your vet’s instructions or if your furry pal is unconscious, has trouble breathing, or shows signs of shock.

Closely monitor for signs like weakness, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, or vomiting if they don’t show any symptoms, but you’re sure they consumed grapes.

Even if the dog isn’t showing any signs, contact the vet or a poison control hotline. Do not wait for symptoms to appear – by then it might be too late!



Can grapes kill dogs?

Yes, grapes can kill dogs. Grapes can cause kidney disease and kidney failure that can lead to death. The best way to prevent this – and any other health complication – is to seek immediate treatment.

You may like: Can Dogs Eat Kabocha Squash?

What is the treatment for a dog with grape poisoning?

If your dog has recently consumed grapes, it’s very likely that your vet will induce vomiting immediately. Depending on the vet, your proximity to the vet office or animal hospital, and your dog’s symptoms, you’ll either be asked to do this at home or to bring your dog in.

By inducing vomiting, the vet is working to empty your dog’s stomach and remove any grapes before they’re digested. Once the dog’s stomach is empty, they will most likely be given activated charcoal to bind the toxins and prevent absorption, limiting any kidney damage.



Can dogs drink grape juice?

They probably shouldn’t.

If the grape juice is made using real grapes, meaning it’s a direct product from the grape’s meat and skin, then it’s toxic to dogs. If it’s made using artificial flavoring, it won’t be toxic, but it won’t be healthy either.

You may like: Can dogs eat Airheads?

Can dogs eat dried grapes?

Dried grapes turn into a healthy (for humans) and delicious snack, otherwise known as raisin’s! That’s right, raisin’s are just dried grapes. And even though every elementary school student in the United States has eaten that red little box full of these tiny treats, they’re not safe for dogs.




Can dogs eat cotton candy? Many pet owners wonder if their dog can eat cotton candy. the answer to all type of grapes is NO. Candy floss is not a safe treat for your dog at all. It contains high sugar content and may even kill your dog if they eat too much of it. It is also important to note that your dog may have a reaction to it– which will cause diarrhea. If you’re not quite sure if your dog should eat candy floss or not then you should not force your dog to eat it. This is why you should consult your veterinarian before giving your dog this type of treat.


I’m a long-time animal lover and owner of two dogs and three cats. I grew up on a farm where we had all sorts of animals, from cows and horses to pigs and chickens. My love for animals led me to pursue a career in writing about them. I have been a pet care writer for over 5 years and have extensive knowledge of animal care, health, and behavior.

Write A Comment