It’s funny, and actually quite handy when your pet chase the flies hiding on the walls. We all know that flying insects can land in disgusting things such as poop and carry fecal bacteria wherever they land.

As funny as it may be to watch your dog catch flies, there is a possibility that your dog could get sick. In this article, we can help you to determine what to do if your dog has eaten a fly or another insect, as spring is the peak season for flying creatures.



Why pets eat fly? 

Many cats and dogs enjoy the challenge of catching fly prey. This is a mild form entertainment or enrichment. This pastime can make your pet feel engaged and productive if they get bored easily or have a lot of energy.

Cats are wired to hunt, so catching flies for their prey is like catching mice or birds. If your pet doesn’t get enough exercise or is suffering from anxiety, hunting flies or other insects can relieve boredom and frustration.

Sky raisins are not a sign that your pet needs to eat more food. This is likely to be more about their instinctive and innate desire for fun than their caloric intake. There is no need for your pet to eat more than they need (even though it may not be a problem, the scale might indicate otherwise).

You may like: 15 Reasons why boxers are the worst dog breeds?

What kind of Bacteria do Flies Carry?

Regular houseflies, also called “sky raisins”, can transmit more than 65 diseases to humans including leprosy, typhoid fever and tuberculosis. Even so, any bacteria that a fly might carry will be quickly killed by your dog’s acidic digestive system.

A fly or two landing on your food will not carry enough bacteria to make you sick. You can throw out food that is becoming too hot. To be safe, I wouldn’t give dog food that’s been ravaged or contaminated by insects. However, a few flies in your dog’s water bowl will not cause any damage. It is very unlikely that your dog will become sick if she eats any household fly such as fruit flies, drain bugs, or gnats. Although lightning bugs are sometimes called fireflies, they can cause temporary gastric upset in dogs. They fly slow and low, and their blinking can be a clue that they are looking for food.



Are bugs dangerous for dogs to eat?

Some bugs can be dangerous for dogs to eat. Heartworm larvae are carried by mosquitoes. Although your dog doesn’t have to be bitten by a mosquito, heartworm can still be contracted from them.

Tapeworms can be transmitted to dogs by fleas if they are ingested. Worm eggs and larvae can be carried by cockroaches, crickets, and beetles. You must prevent your dog from eating bugs, regardless of whether they eat them. I prefer to do this using monthly Interceptor tablets I receive from my vet.

Although I prefer natural products, such as Interceptor, which can cause seizures or brain damage, I believe the risk of contracting parasites is higher than the side effects. Talk to your vet about the best parasite prevention options for your dog. Your dog should be taken to their annual wellness check, which usually includes a fecal test for parasites.

 You may like: Can dogs eat activia yogurt?

How can I stop this fly catching habit?

This harmless, but yucky behavior will be difficult to stop. Flies are everywhere and can be caught by your dog before you even react. It might be worth teaching your dog a “leave it” command and asking him to stop chasing flies together.

The best way to stop your dog eating and chasing flies is to make sure they are not in your home. Many household pesticides can be harmful for dogs. You’ll need to think creatively to repel and kill bugs without your dog.

Cinnamon is a great repellent for ants. It can be used on ant trails and any other areas where ants may be entering your home.

For most fly species, it is best to open a wine glass and drink the majority of it. Leave a few inches at the bottom. Flies love the smell of fermenting fruits so they will be attracted to it. However, they won’t find a way out.

Sweet flavors are not a favorite of some bugs. Some bugs might be attracted by warm water mixed with yeast. Beer can also work.

We find the thought of accidentally eating a fly or bug disgusting. But it is not for Fido. Dogs are naturally scavengers, and they love catching prey. This can include flies. Dog owners are often disgusted by these insect snacks. You aren’t the only one who has wondered if your dog can be hurt by eating flies.



Insect as Snacks

It is not usually a problem if your dog eats a few insects. Most insects aren’t venomous, so they won’t be a danger to your dog. Flies are a common treat for dogs because they can be caught in mid-air and are fun to watch. Your dog may have snapped at an annoying fly.

You shouldn’t allow your dog to eat insects or arachnids. These are:

  • Stink Bugs cause gastrointestinal upset
  • Ladybugs can cause irritation to the tongue and mouth, and even ulcers.
  • Lungworm can be caused by earthworms, snails, and slugs.
  • Bees, wasps, and hornets can sting dogs and cause reactions.
  • Fleas and cockroaches can carry parasites
  • Venom is found in spiders such as the black widow and brown recluse.
  • Some snakes, including Scorpions, are also venomous
  • Some centipedes and caterpillars can cause damage

Flies, grasshoppers and most bugs can be enjoyed by your furry friend if they are not treated with insecticide.



I’m a long-time animal lover and owner of two dogs and three cats. I grew up on a farm where we had all sorts of animals, from cows and horses to pigs and chickens. My love for animals led me to pursue a career in writing about them. I have been a pet care writer for over 5 years and have extensive knowledge of animal care, health, and behavior.

Write A Comment