my dog ate a hair tie

My dog ate a hair tie, What Should I do?

Dogs are always searching, and they are like vacuum cleaners. They search, smell, sniff, and bite almost everything. In addition, dogs instinctively like to chew. Therefore, they put everything in their mouth and start chewing. This may lead to the unintentional swallowing of objects that they should not eat. In this article, we discuss, ” my dog ate a hair tie what should i do?”

 

my dog ate a hair tie

 

Why Do Dogs Swallow hair Tie?

As more and more dog owner’s are keeping hair ties in their pockets, the dogs frequently ingest them when they get curious about smells coming from our pockets or while desperately trying to gain our affection, or while stealing foreign object’s from us. Prolonged exposure to hair ties can cause damage to a dogs stomach and intestines. Hair ties can also get caught on a dog’s teeth or tongue, causing trauma from chewing and biting at it, which leads us to another problem. It would be best to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible for critical care.

You may like: can dog ate dead frog?

What happens if a dog eats a hair tie?

As more and more dog owner’s are keeping hair ties in their pockets, the dogs frequently ingest them when they get curious about smells coming from our pockets or while desperately trying to gain our affection, or while stealing foreign object’s from us. Prolonged exposure to hair ties can cause damage to a dogs stomach and intestines. It would be best to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible for critical care.

 

my dog ate a hair tie

 

Problems Associated with Swallowed hair ties.

The article “Swallowed Hair Ties – A pet owners nightmare” by Pet MD clearly states that problems associated with swallowed hair ties are not only limited to intestinal blockage, but they can also include:

Garbled speech: The presence of a foreign body in the esophagus prevents your pet from swallowing properly – meaning if the tie is obstructing his air supply as it gets caught on his vocal cords, then he will have a very difficult time making himself heard.

Swelling of their muzzle: Not only is your dog not able to swallow his meals, but the hair tie could very well obstruct his nasal passages as well – leading to inflammation and swelling of their muzzle, which can lead to excessive drooling and difficulty breathing.

Collapsing trachea: When a pet’s airway is fully obstructed, they will often start honking, yelp, and hacking – all sounds you’ve probably heard at some point. However, suppose the foreign body becomes lodged in a less secure area. In that case, it can easily slip down toward the lungs causing significant respiratory distress for your pet as it makes its way further toward areas within the chest cavity.

Gagging: If a dog manages to dislodge a ‘hung up’ tie with repeated choking and gagging, it can cause excess saliva production, which can lead to their stomach becoming upset or even result in aspiration pneumonia if the spit-up has food particles in it.

You may like: My dog ate a dead bird

What happens if a dog eats a hair tie?

No one wants to put their dog’s safety at risk. Hair ties are small rubber pieces. They can get stuck in your dog’s throat and cause them to choke because not every dog can swallow it. Hair ties can cause intestinal obstruction if your dog could even eat them.

 

What happens if a dog eats a hair tie?

No one wants to put their dog’s safety at risk. Hair ties are small rubber pieces. They can get stuck in your dog’s throat and cause them to choke because not every dog can swallow it. Hair ties can cause intestinal obstruction if your dog could even eat them.

 

What can you do to save your dog?

If your dog is showing symptoms of being choked, you can look into his throat for objects, including hair ties. If you see anything, try to remove it immediately. However, it won’t be an easy job. Dogs generally won’t let anybody put anything in their mouth, and your dog may bite.

 

 

What happens if a dog swallows a hair tie?

If your dog swallowed a hair tie, in most cases, there is nothing to worry about, especially when you have a big dog. It will pass through his digestive system because your dog can’t digest it. But it can be dangerous and jeopardize your dog’s health. If you have a small dog or just a puppy, the risk is higher.

 

What symptoms can be a sign of swallowing a hair tie?

If you are not sure about your dog eating a hair tie, but you suspect, watch your dog closely. Check his poop for a sign of a hair tie. If your dog vomits or has diarrhea, the wise decision is to take your dog to a vet for close observation. Symptoms like constipation, loss of appetite, and Abdominal pain can be a sign of swallowing a hair tie.

You may like: My Dog ate a dead mouse.

 

Dogs digestive system issues if they eat hair ties.

  1. Intestine obstruction: Hair tie is an indigestible and sharp object; when dogs ingest hair ties, especially for Maltese, which has a fragile digestive system and smooth intestine wall, there is a risk of the hair tie getting stuck in the dog’s intestines which may cause blockage. Thus, we should ensure our dogs can handle such objects before feeding them with anything they find on the ground.
  2. Foreign body sensation: Once the hair tie gets into the stomach or small intestine where it cannot be digested yet, it will cause foreign body sensation to your pet when they move around due to irritation from the object inside their body. Symptoms include loss of appetite, mild vomiting or diarrhea, or constipation may occur too.
  3. Narrowing of the intestinal tract: If your dog swallows the whole thing without chewing, hair tie can accumulate and cause narrowing of the intestinal tract, which results in loss of appetite and vomiting and finally lead to dehydration and even death depending on how long the obstruction persists.

Since it’s hard for Maltese (or other dogs with similar breed) to cough out such indigestible objects from their throat, make sure they defecate at least once every day by providing them with moderate exercise and plenty of water.

 

Conclusion

As mentioned above, nobody can stop dogs from eating objects. Therefore, you need to be aware of things that are scattered on the floor. When it comes to hair ties, due to their ingredients, they can severely harm your dog’s health or even cause him to die. You should always

Latest posts by usermajid (see all)
Date
15 Nov 2021
12:00 pm